Wednesday, August 27, 2008

You know you're getting old when......

Okay, so not really old, but you know you're getting older when..........
I went to the DMV last week to get a Utah driver's license. I know, I've only lived in Utah for two years, but I thought it was time. Zaron and I actually went together. It all started off great. We got the paper work, we filled it out with no problems, and after waiting for probably five minutes they called my name. I took my paperwork to the nice older gentleman and we started the process. He asked the usual questions and then he told me to look into the eye machine. He told me to read the first line. After a few seconds of staring at the first line, I asked him "Are those actual letters?" He gave me the look and I proceeded to tell him what I thought was on the first line. He asked me "Do you wear glasses?" I said, "Yes, I have glasses for reading and dri...." As I was about to say driving, he gave me the look again and said, "I'm going to try and help you out here." He shut off the right side and I read the letters on the left. He shut off the left side and I read the letters on the right. He said I answered enough of them correctly that he wasn't going to restrict me this time. Then he told me, "I know it gets hard as we get older, but if we need glasses, we just need to suck it up and wear them." As WE get older; did I seriously look as old as did. He was probably 65 years old; not that that's old, because it's not, I just don't think I look 65 yet.
To make the story even better, I took the written test and it was open book. One would think, "Aw, this is a no brainer, a piece of cake". Well, they twist and turn the questions around so much that by the time you're through, you're no longer sure what your name is. I was done with the test and I was double checking my answers. One question was still stumping me; it was True/False. It seemed obvious, but I wasn't sure. Like I said, they twist and turn. I put true, but after reading in the book, I thought it was false. So, I changed it to false and hit finish. My score came flashing on the screen. I passed, but I missed ONE. And guess which one it was. Yep, the one I changed. How annoying. But to make it even better, I asked Zaron what he got. He said, with a smile of sweet victory on his face, "100%". Of course! (Not to mention, my picture turned out fabulous. Not!!)
The moral of the story, driving is so overrated!!!

8 comments:

Krissi said...

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL I'm just going to sit here and laugh. Oh and by the way welcome to Utah.:) Give me a call it would be fun to do the pictures. We have to work around the sun because I haven't gotten high tech enough to have the right lighting without depending on the sun.

Englishfam said...

Sharonda you are hilarious! I hate the DMV so much I avoid it like the plague. Could the workers be more rude seriously?! And no, you don't look 65!! haha Thanks for the laugh.
p.s. did Mel tell you about the miscommunication about Amber's shower? She said she told me about it and I just thought I wasn't invited. I wish I would have just come! Oh well.

Race Fam said...

That is funny. I guess it's time for some contacts.

Gardner Family said...

Sharonda - I am coming out of lurking to tell you something real quick. I feel your pain on the whole getting older. The past two times I have went through the taco bell drive thru the teenagers have been calling me "Maam". :( Seriously.....am I a "Maam"? ;)

So thanks for the laugh....I think we can all agree you are no where near 65! Closer to the 20's!!!!

:) Leah

Mel said...

Okay that is so funny! You are not getting old! Those machines are just wrong!

Amber said...

That is such a funny story!! I love it!

Amy said...

Oh come on Sharonda, you are getting old!! It's no longer "I'll be twenty in 4 years", now it's "I'll be forty in 4 years, right" or is it less than 4 years.:)))) That is a picture of my face laughing. I really can't say much. I can't drive at night anymore without glasses. BTW, thanks for letting me borrow the Monks. I'm enjoying them. I see why you guys like it. It's all making sense now. Love ya Sis, You're the Best!!!

Laura said...

Sharonda - that is SO funny! You should have corrected the "old-timer" and let him know that you are several age brackets below him... I love the driving tests... they have such a sneaky way of asking certain questions -- just to trick you. Dang government. Like anyone really follows the driving laws anyway.... :)